Wednesday, November 14, 2007

T'was Grace That Taught My Heart to Fear

My daughter recently attended a Josh McDowell seminar with her school. On our drive home from school that day I asked her about it all. She gave a glowing review. I pressed her for details and she told me of Josh asking kids why they are "Christians". Most could not give an answer. At this moment I blurted out that we, (the Church), have failed them! We have not taught them about sin! My daughter said, "That's just what Josh said!"

We have become so affected by the therapeutic gospel that says we must improve our self-esteem that we have neglected the Gospel that says "while we were yet sinners Christ died for us." The Gospel that says, "as for you, you were dead in your sins and trespasses in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world." If there is no sin there can be no grace. If there is no sin we don't need a savior. If there is no sin Jesus and his Gospel simply become a means to live a better more affluent life.

The Gospel says we are enemies of God and guilty of rebellion against his authority. This a punishment that requires the sentence of death. Our sin along with our culture have convinced us that we have some intrinsic worth that God somehow recognizes apart from his grace. Somewhere in us is a small voice that tells us that God got a pretty good deal with us. Life should therefore conform to my hopes and expectations or I'll be disappointed or even angry. The Gospel tells us that far from it, we are so far gone that a good man had to die so that we could be saved from God's just wrath. Not just any man but the unique Son of God. "He who knew no sin was made to be sin for us so that in him we might become the righteousness of God."

Now let's ask that question again. Why am I a Christian? The answer is simple and natural. I am a Christian because I am a sinner. I am a Christian because Jesus offered his life so that I could be purchased for God. Jesus rescued me from God's just and holy wrath that I completely deserved. I love him for the cross and will follow him all my days as God grants me faith.

C.J. Mahaney, (leader of Sovereign Grace Ministries), likes to say that he is "better than I deserve" when asked how he is. That reveals a heart that knows his sin and can in turn know God's grace. Apart from sin there is no grace, no Savior and no Christianity.

This is ancient truth that transcends our flimsy, thin culture. I pray that we all may come to grips with this aspect of the Gospel so that we can fully come to grips with what is so good about the Good News.

No comments: