Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Sonship

I have begun reading a work by Sinclair Ferguson entitled "Children of the Living God". After reading a few chapters I think I could summarize the thesis this way: Understanding our relationship with God as that of a son is key to realizing all that God has done in redeeming us. this understanding unlocks the gates of joy and peace.

As I pondered one chapter I realized that, in my heart, there is a distrust of God. It is as if I am not sure if he is going to pull the spiritual rug out from under me. I try to place my trust in him but deep within, I fear that he rejects me. what Ferguson is saying, I believe, is that this is rooted in a lack of understanding of sonship. We must, "Carefully unfold the true character of God" and learn to trust him fully.

No comments: